Apple, Gouda and Caramelised Onions Quesadillas
- 2 apples, cored and sliced thinly
- ½ cup freshly shredded gouda cheese
- 2 sprigs thyme (stems removed)
- 2 multigrain tortillas or wraps
- ½ medium onion, peeled and sliced thinly and separated
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Heat butter in a pan over medium high heat.
- When hot, add the onion slices in (the onions should sizzle), and reduce heat to medium so you don't burn the onions.
- Swirl the onions around to ensure it's all covered, and allow to caramelise for 15 minutes, stirring once every 5 minutes. The onions will be soft enough to cut through with the spatula, and will be very tender. If the oil in the pan dries up, add water 2 tablespoons at a time to help finish cooking the onions.
- On tortillas or wraps, place the apple slices, then the thyme then the cheese, then the caramelised onions on top. Place the second tortilla or wrap on top.
- In a pan over medium high heat, or on a mini grill, place the tortilla. Heat through on one side for 3 minutes, then flip, and heat through on the other side for another 3 minutes.
- Alternatively, you can split the ingredients equally through both tortillas or wraps and then fold them over individually (so you would have two different ones instead of one combined one). This can be easier then flipping the large quesadilla and produces the same result.
- When both sides are crisp and cheese is melted, slice with a pizza cutter.
Please Note: I'm aware that there is a much more decadent and longer way of caramelising onions, but this method will produce a very similar result in a much quicker time that allows you to be finished in under 30 minutes!