Grilled Vegetable Sandwich with Herbed Ricotta
1 cup ricotta cheese
1 tablespoon each of fresh basil, chives and parsley, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil plus more for drizzling
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 portobello mushroom
1 medium zucchini, sliced lengthwise
1 medium yellow squash, sliced lengthwise
1/2 medium eggplant, sliced into rounds
1/2 red onion, peeled and sliced into rounds
1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced in half or quarters
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 loaf ciabatta bread or other soft bread sliced into 6-inch sections and cut in half
1/2 cup arugula leaves
- In a small bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, fresh herbs, garlic clove, 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper and mix until smooth. Set aside.
- Oil the grill grates with paper towels lightly coated with grapeseed or canola oil. Preheat the grill on medium high for 10-15 minutes.
- Drizzle the vegetables with extra virgin olive oil and season with dried oregano and kosher salt and pepper.
- Drizzle some additional olive oil on the cut side of the ciabatta.
- Place the vegetables on the grill and cook undisturbed for 5 minutes. Gently flip veggies with a spatula when veggies start to soften and grill marks develop. Cook for another 5 minutes. Toast the cut sides of the ciabatta. Transfer the veggies and ciabatta to a platter.
- Spread the herbed ricotta mixture on the cut sides of the bread slices. Top the bottom bread slices with layers of grilled vegetables and arugula then drizzle with balsamic glaze.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.