on October 18, 2014
Yield: 5 servings
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 1/2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 Tbsp finely diced shallot
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 Tbsp salted butter
- 1 Tbsp packed light-brown sugar
- 7 oz Spring Salad & Spinach blend
- 2 oz parmesan cheese, shaved
- 2 Red Anjou Pears, sliced thin (Bartlett pears work fine too)
- 1/3 cup dried sweetened cranberries
- For the vinaigrette:
- To a blender add olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey, dijon mustard, diced shallot and season with salt and pepper to taste (I used a 1/4 +1/8 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper). Blend mixture until well emulsified, about 20 seconds. Store in refrigerator in an airtight container until ready to serve.
- For the salad and candied walnuts:
- In a medium skillet melt butter along with brown sugar over medium heat. Once mixture has melted add walnuts and cook, stirring constantly until caramelized, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate in a single layer to cool.
- Layer lettuce and pears in a large bowl and toss with dressing, then top with parmesan, dried cranberries and candied pecans and serve (alternately just layer all the salad ingredients then drizzle with dressing. Note: top this salad with dressing just before serving as it will wilt the lettuces after a while).
- Recipe Source: adapted slightly from a recipe from a friend, Audrey MacKay (thanks again Audrey!) whom adapted it from a Cookbook titled "Favorites" by Grace Ivory Rock and Jane Ivory Metcalf